Alcohol Interlock Installation
Kiwi French Automotive is an authorised installer of the Draeger Alcohol Ignition Interlock System. Our workshop is located in Slacks Creek but we can service anyone in the surrounding suburbs and greater Brisbane area.
What is it?An alcohol interlock is a device installed in your vehicle that requires you to blow into it in order to start the car. If the device detects that you've been drinking, the car will not start.
What is the law in Queensland?Alcohol ignition interlock laws came into effect on August 6th 2010 in Queensland. The result of this law is that those convicted of certain drink driving offences must have this system installed in their cars before they are permitted to drive again. The point of the law is to separate drinking from driving so they have no chance of negatively affecting each other.
The Dräger (Draeger) SystemThe Dräger Interlock XT has two main components;
- The breath analysing device located in the vehicle
- The control unit installed under the dashboard
which prevents current from reaching the starter motor if the breath alcohol
detector is tripped
Some of the benefits include;
- Able to be used in 'eXtreme Temperatures' (XT)
- Ready for use quickly after switching on the ignition (other systems have a delay which annoys drivers)
- Attempts to bypass they system by means of an air pump for example are easily detected by this system and it will prevent the car being started
- Similar to breathe testers used by the Police, the Draeger system measures using an electrochemical sensor which is hypersensitive to alcohol